Scanlan completes comeback in Thunder rally

by Gary Ahuja

Chase Scanlan tries a behind-the-back shot during his team's 9-1 victory on July 27 against Coquitlam. Scanlan scored four times and finished with nine points as the Langley Thunder went into Victoria on July 29 and rallied for the 13-12 victory. Ryan Molag LEC photo

After surrendering a pair of short-handed goals just seven seconds apart in what was a 10-10 tie against the host Victoria Shamrocks, the Langley Thunder rallied for the game’s final three goals with Chase Scanlan scoring thice late in the third period as the Thunder shocked the Shamrocks 13-12 at Victoria’s Q Centre on Friday night.

Langley trailed throughout the entire game, taking their first lead on Scanlan’s fourth of the game, which came with just 74 seconds to play.

The victory was a second straight for the Thunder as they improved to 10-6 while Victoria’s record fell to 11-5. Each team has a pair of games remaining, which includes their respective regular season finales at Langley Events Centre when the Shamrocks come to town on August 3 (7:00pm).

And while Nanaimo (12-6, no games remaining), Victoria (11-5, two games remaining) and Coquitlam (11-6, one game remaining) have clinched their post-season berths, the Thunder are still attempting to hold off the fifth-place New Westminster Salmonbellies (8-8, two games remaining) for the last WLA playoff spot.

Friday’s contest began with Victoria scoring the game’s first three goals and the Shamrocks took a 4-1 lead into intermission. Langley used a strong second period to cut the deficit to 7-6 after two period before a back-and-forth third period which saw the teams trade goals until the score was 10-10 with nine minutes to play.

Langley would then head to the power play but Jackson Nishimura and Steve Priolo scored short-handed goals mere seconds apart to give the home side a 12-10 lead with 6:35 to play.

Facing a two-goal deficit, the Thunder remained undeterred with Connor Robinson pulling the team within one with five minutes to play before Scanlan tied the score at 12 92 seconds later. Scanlan then completed the comeback, striking for the winner – and his fourth of the game – with 74 seconds to play.

Scanlan led the Thunder with four goals and nine points while Robinson (three goals, three assists) and Dane Dobbie (two goals, four assists) each had six-point games. Dylan Kinnear (one goal, four assists), Erik Maas (two goals) and Jordan Daniel (one goal) rounded out the Langley attack.

Steve Fryer finished with 48 saves as Langley was outshot 60-45.

Marshal King had three goals and seven points and Chris Wardle scored twice and finished with four points for the Shamrocks. Goaltender Pete Dubenski made 32 saves on 45 shots.

Next up for Langley is a road game in Burnaby against the Lakers on August 2.